Thursday, April 11, 2013

My life needs to be fixed.

For the past several months, I think it's pretty safe to say that all I've been doing is sleeping and working.  And no, I don't run a one-man-business that requires my time all the time.  I have a regular 40hr/week job.  So this means I'm sleeping the rest of the time.  Am I diagnosed with depression?  No.  Do I live alone? No. Do I not have any friends or a social life?  No.

So then what's the problem?

I DON'T KNOW!

I need to be fixed.  Awhile ago, I posted something pretty similar in another entry.  I mentioned that Sasha (and for awhile, Amy) were the only reasons I would wake up early.  We would schedule activities such as tennis, biking, going to the gym, going to coffee shops, etc.  However, Amy now has a job, so that's one less person.  I can name the moment I stopped running and/or waking up "early" to do activities with Sasha.  It was when I suddenly got sick with cold symptoms which turned out to be a mild flu.  That was when I stopped running.  When I got better, there was a snowstorm.  And then I never went back out there again because it was so freaking cold.  I did run at the gym on the treadmill twice after that, and once at my parent's house...however, I don't like doing that because it's not the same.  I guess I shouldn't complain, seeing as how it's still physical exercise and I have a lot of fat to burn.  But...I'm American, and we are known to be lazy.  I'm aware of the things I need to fix, but I'm just too lazy to do it.  Here are two examples: going to bed late, and purposely not scheduling anything in the morning or early afternoons.  I've been going to bed really late, lately, which is why I sleep until I HAVE to get up to get to work on time...which is TWO P.M.  Pathetic.  And I'm a regular volunteer for 2 different organizations which I love...however, I haven't scheduled any sessions for one of them in a couple months because I WANT TO SLEEP IN.  Even more pathetic.  I'm a terrible terrible person.  So...I'm committing to you, eBlogger, right now...because I don't know what else to do.

1) I will set a "bedtime" and "wake-up time" for myself.  I know there are some circumstances and events that will come up in which I will be flexible.  But for the most part, this will be for most evenings and mornings that follow my regular schedule.  I get home from work around 10:30-11pm.  I like to un-wind and do random things afterwards at home.  So for now, I will agree to be in bed by 1am...and leave my phone on my bookshelf.  (I got a new phone and it's so amazing...I've been laying in bed for hours before I fall asleep recently, just putzing around on my phone).  I hope to be able to change my bedtime to midnight in the future.  As far as wake-up time goes...I think 10:30am (11 at the latest) is safe.  I assume I'd still be getting 9hrs of sleep which is a lot.  And this should give me a few extra hours before work to take care of stuff at home.  And if I were scheduled to volunteer, it'd be scheduled for earlier than my wake-up time, so nothing to worry about there.

2) I will schedule my volunteer sessions even if I don't want to.  I don't think this really needs any additional explanation.

Oh man, just thinking about making this change, is stressing me out.  My lazy side is not happy.  But my energetic side is excited for a positive change.  My tips for myself are to try to stick with the new sleep schedule even on the weekends, and to do my best for 2 months.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you Les! I'm so frustrated with myself. I recently went to the Doctor this week and I like that I can see all of my medical records online, including my vitals and weights. so in the last year I've seen my BMI rise and rise. I've gained a total of 33lbs this year and my BMI went from 28 to 34 in the last year! It's so unbelievable to see it on paper like that. It's super depressing. I feel so ashamed and like such a hypocrite because I work in healthcare and deal with patients who I educate about changing their eating habits and getting more exercise when I should be taking my own advice. I need to hold myself more accountable.

    ReplyDelete