Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Android/iPhone apps

I remember awhile ago, a great local artist by the name of Jeremy Messersmith, tweeted something about a new app he installed by the name of "Push Ups."  I looked into it a few days ago, and I installed it along with another one that is called "Workout Trainer."

Push Ups:
You set a goal of how many consecutive push ups you'd like to do.  Please keep in mind that the minimum goal is 50.  So that's what I selected.  You begin by doing as many push ups you can do in a row until you can't do it anymore.  I haven't done push ups in awhile, so I was pretty much exhausted after 3.  It tells you to do the push ups every other day, so I did my first day of push ups today.  Today's sets of push ups were listed as 3-3-5-3 for a total of 14 push ups.  I started with the first 3 push ups, and it gave me 45 seconds or so to rest before going on to the next round.  It even blew a whistle at me so I didn't have to look at the timer to know when to begin again.  After you complete this, you are asked how it felt doing the set.  If it was too easy, just right, or too hard.  I struggled slightly and I could feel it getting harder with each set...but it wasn't too hard or too easy so I selected just right.  It looks like my next set for Thursday is 4-3-5-5 for a total of 17.  I'm excited to see where this takes me, because my upper body strength is kind of poor, and I always need to work on my core muscles. 


Workout trainer isn't as simple as the Push Ups app.  However, it still looks like it'd be very useful for people who don't have a lot of time to get to the gym, or who LIKE to go do things at the gym.  I have a gym membership that I haven't been using very much lately.  But even when I DID go frequently, I always liked having options to do at home without needing any equipment...even if it was just for 5 minutes.  Well, this app is perfect for that!  There are tons of "programs" and "workouts" for you to choose to work on.   A lot of programs cost money, but there are several free options as well.  From what it looks like, most of the workouts are free.  A few have "pro" written on it and those will cost money.  You can choose a workout and it will have a description of it, with options to view examples of the workout.  It lists how many minutes the workout will take, along with the intensity level.  There is a button to "add to your calendar" and it will literally add it to your phone's calendar.  This also has a social community so you can add friends or help motivate strangers.  This also syncs with your Skimble web account, where you can also chart your physical activities.


I've had this on my phone for awhile now, and it is very useful.  It's an app where you can chart your food intake and exercise to help track calories.  With wi-fi connection, it automatically syncs to your web account so you can view it from the computer.  My favorite feature about the phone app is the barcode scanner.  You can easily scan whatever it is you're eating, and bam!  The info is right there on your phone already and you just have to push "add to diary."  

If you want to add me to your friends list on these apps, you can find me under my email address. 

Are there any apps you know of that have helped you or that you've heard of?

No comments:

Post a Comment